A daily meditation practice is ideal to soothe our mind and promote self-healing. The goal is to reach a silent state of consciousness. We can enter through mantra (silently repeating or singing a phrase) or from the gap in between our thoughts. Wordless background music can help. Try practicing meditation with eyes softly closed, sitting up straight, shoulders relaxing back and palms facing up. Inhale and exhale through the nose– an easy equal breath. Remain still, yet alert. Try meditating for 5 – 20 minutes, preferably after some yoga postures or exercise to reduce fidgeting or discomfort. A timer can help signal the end of a session. Here are some tools to help with your meditation practice.
A mantra is a word or short phrase that is repeated silently or aloud as a form of meditation. This word or phrase can be a positive affirmation, a special word or a prayer in any language you like.
Free Meditation & Mantra Resources
- How to Meditate (with Sample Meditation Techniques) – wikiHow
- Insight Timer. Free phone app includes a timer and guided meditations.
- Deepak Chopra 21-Day Meditation Challenge. Free several times per year.
- Mantrapedia at Spirit Voyage – Encyclopedia of Sanskrit mantras, including English translations and sound bytes.
- Free Meditation Music available for download.
Benefits of Meditation
There are several scientific studies that prove the benefits of meditation, including: